Thursday 30 March 2017

1/6 Dragon Sherman Tank build - Part 5 (c): Final suspension assembly

So yesterday the weather was nice enough I was able to get the lower hull outside to prime and paint.
I didn't take a lot of pictures but one tip about painting, if you are using spray paint, try and make your first 2 coats as light as possible.  Do not try and cover the whole model, just give it a light mist.  This allows the paint to stick against the model really well.  I have noticed that since I started doing this the paint adheres much stronger, and doesn't chip or scratch off as easily.

Here is the completed lower hull with paint.  I just use Krylon paint.  Red oxide primer first, in total about 4 coats with the first two just misting. I taped off the area where the suspension attaches first to allow for the glue to attach better.  This will get touched up after the suspension is attached.
















Here is the first set of suspension attached.  The stock section kind of snaps into place, mine made a click sound when I put them on.  I then drilled 4 holes where the bottom section sits, and using #5 bolts attached the suspension.  The stock set up uses a small screw from the inside of the hull, not very strong at all.  I perfer the 4 bolt method.  I also used CA glue on the housing for added strength.





No comments:

Post a Comment